Thursday, October 23, 2008

I still prefer Yahoo! but only for 1 reason

Yahoo! days are over. It was one of those really promising companies in Silicon Valley and I must admit that I was quite fascinated by their early ads "Do you Yahoo?" At first, I thought "This looks like an exciting company which will probably be better than AOL and Alta-Vista"

It was for a few years.

Then I wonder what happened to them.

The search engine is not as good as before or I should say Google is better. It's easier to find websites on Google than Yahoo! The accuracy isn't that good on Yahoo!

The auction is gone too. Yahoo! auction is one of the best out there, I have traded a few times on the auction and it's so easy to find stuff. I don't like eBay for your info.

But...

They shut it down.

Now, I have 2 reasons not to Yahoo!

Why would Yahoo! provide more emails like Y mail and rocketmail? Shouldn't they just focus on the usual Yahoo email, anyway, the new layout in Yahoo! email is good. But Gmail is also good with the layout not to mention Windows Live email. I like it with a @live.com email, this looks better than a @yahoo.com email.

In fact, I have all 3 accounts, primarily using Yahoo! while trying out Gmail and Win Live and I use more of Win Live lately as compared to Yahoo! because of the Win Live's interface.

A total migration will come soon. So, my 3rd reason for not going Yahoo!. I am used to reading news on Yahoo! homepage, I find it much easier to browse headlines than MSN or USAtoday. It's the only reason why I am still addicted to Yahoo!

Was a big fan of Yahoo!, not a big fan for now and unless Jeff Yang could do something to give Google a run for its money, I doubt I will be using Yahoo! for long.

It lack the coverage of Google, lacks the innovation it seriously lacks the talents behind those innovations.

Maybe in the next few months......

Do you still Yahoo!? No, I don't anymore.

No comments: